CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A defamation lawsuit against the Diocese of Corpus Christi and Bishop Michael Mulvey has been dismissed by a judge on Monday. The defamation lawsuits were filed by two former priests earlier this year.
Father John Feminelli and Monsignor Michael Heras claimed that they were victims of defamation following the release of a report by the Diocese in January. In the Diocesan report, 26 clerics' names were listed as being credibly accused of sexually abusing a minor within the Diocese. The priests were suing for $11 million each.
At this time, it is unknown why 319th District Court Judge David Stith dropped the case. The priests attorney, Andrew Greenwell, says the motion to dismiss did not list any reasons. Greenwell says he plans to appeal. He has 30 days to file an appeal.