NewsLocal News

Actions

Residents concerned over barge and sunken boat left in bay

Posted: 10:06 PM, May 30, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-30 23:22:06-04

An abandoned barge and a sunken tugboat used for a charity event are being investigated by the Coast Guard and the General Land Office.

The marine vessels were left in the Corpus Christi Bay behind homes on Ocean Drive on May 10th.  A neighbor to the event says the vessels were to be used for a fireworks display for an event.  The fireworks show didn’t happen due to the weather. Nearby homeowners are calling them eyesores and are concerned the tugboat is hazardous to the waters.

“So I don’t know if there’s gas in the tug boat or whether it has escaped. I don’t even know what the contents of the barge are,” said Karen Urban, Ocean Drive resident.

“I’d have no way of knowing but I think that the owner of the barge should be able to identify what is there and if in fact, it’s a hazard.”

We’re told the Texas General Land Office has tracked down the man who leased the barge for the charity event.  He says he wasn’t able to remove either vessel because of high winds but will do so tomorrow morning.  No word yet on what the tugboat or barge contained.  So far nothing harmful has been discharged.