Expect a slowdown on the Harbor Bridge beginning this week as the Texas Department of Transportation conducts safety inspections on the bridge.
According to TxDOT, the biennial inspection will require multiple, daytime lane closures of U.S. 181 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the weeks of April 8 and 15.
Although TxDOT says the work is weather permitting, lane closures are currently scheduled for:
- April 8 and 9 – Right two lanes of southbound U.S. 181
- April 10 and 11 – Right two lanes of northbound U.S. 181
- April 15 – Right two lanes of southbound U.S. 181
- April 16 – Right two lanes of northbound U.S. 181
- April 17 – Right two lanes of southbound U.S. 181
- April 18 – Right two lanes of northbound U.S. 181
TxDOT says all public-use bridges in the state that carry vehicular traffic, whether they are on state-maintained roads or county roads, undergo routine safety inspections every 24 months. The department has been proactively inspecting bridges in Texas for nearly 40 years.
Drivers are advised to expect delays or find alternate routes during the inspection period, and to follow all traffic control devices, and slow down in the work zone.
For up-to-the-minute information on traffic conditions, visit the Action 10 live, interactive traffic map here.