NewsLocal News


Local surfer was at Waco resort tested for ‘brain-eating amoeba”

Posted at 6:30 PM, Oct 02, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-02 23:09:39-04

The investigation continues at the BSR Surf Club in Waco after a guest died from a “brain-eating amoeba”.

According to reports, the surf resort closed its doors this past Friday, pending the investigation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But according to a local surfer, the park was opened this weekend.

Stephan Lewis, a local surf coach, and avid surfer says he was at the BSR Surf Resort on Thursday. He says he witnessed health officials testing the waters for contamination but says the staff did not inform them about any possible dangers.

“We were completely unaware of what was going on,” says Stephan Lewis.

Even though reports stated the park closed voluntarily Friday, Lewis says he was there the next day, Saturday, with family and friends. He says everyone was given a vague release form to sign.

“I did waste 30 minutes of my session that I had paid for because I was unsure at the time with signing the waver, but after realizing wait a minute I’d been there Thursday, I said if I’m gonna die I might as well go get my six hours since there’s nobody else in the pool,” says Lewis.

According to the CDC, people become infected when water containing the parasite enters the nose, the amoeba then migrates to the brain and while it’s rare, it’s almost always fatal.

In fact, only four of the 143 people infected between 1962 and 2017 survived.

Despite potential health concerns, Lewis says surfing is a dangerous sport and is staying optimistic.

“We surf places; even here at home that you know, you get vibrios,” says Lewis.

His friend who was also there with his family is worried.

“He is completely disgruntled and distraught and has not been able to sleep,” says Lewis.

The test results are expected later this week.