News

Actions

Catholic order reaches $1M settlement over sexual abuse

Posted: 9:56 PM, Jul 17, 2018
Updated: 2018-07-17 22:56:23-04

BOSTON (AP) – A Roman Catholic order has agreed to pay $1 million to eight people who say they were sexually abused by two priests in Massachusetts.
    
The Boston Globe reports attorney Mitchell Garabedian said Tuesday the settlement with his clients and the Order of Saint Augustine was decided last month.
    
The Augustinians say they settled due to a "desire to promote healing."
    
Garabedian says five men and three women were abused by the Revs. John Gallagher and Robert Turnbull in the 1970s and early 1980s. The victims were 9 to 12 years old at the time.
    
Garabedian says one of the victims wrote about her abuse to the late Cardinal Bernard Law, which proved that the former archbishop of Boston knew of sexual abuse by priests.
    
Both Gallagher and Turnbull have since died.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)