CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A local attorney's law office is involved with a lawsuit against several parties connected to the Astroworld concert that resulted in 8 deaths and 25 hospitalizations.
The lawsuit was filed by the offices of Thomas J. Henry on behalf of Austin resident Kristian Paredes, against multiple individuals and organizations. Those named in the lawsuit include Jacques Berman Webster II, also known as Travis Scott, Aubrey Drake Graham, also known as Drake, Live Entertainment Inc., and the Harris County Sports & Convention Center, also known as NRG Stadium.
"Upon information and belief, Defendant, JACQUES BERMAN WEBSTER, III a/k/a/ TRAVIS SCOTT managed, maintained produced, supervised, organized and controlled the concert/event ASTROWORLD FESTIVAL 2021 that took placed on November 5, 2021, at HARRIS COUNTY SPORTS & CONVENTION CORPORATION a/k/a NRG STADIUM in HOUSTON, TX," says the lawsuit. "While at this event, KRISTIAN PAREDES, was at the front of the general admission section and VIP Section was a metal barrier. As 'TRAVIS SCOTT's' performance started shortly after 9 p.m., when the countdown on stage ended, KRISTIAN PAREDES felt an immediate push. The crowd became chaotic and a stampede began leaving eight dead and dozens including KRISTEN PAREDES severely injured. Many begged security guards hired by LIVE NATION ENTERTAINMENT for help, but were ignored."
It is unclear why the lawsuit addresses Webster as the 2nd and 3rd in different parts of the document and why Paredes' first name is spelled two different ways in different parts of the document.
The lawsuit goes on to claim that the defendants were complicit in negligence for inciting a riot and violence. The entire lawsuit can be read here.
One of the victims of the deadly Astroworld music festival events was Twenty-one-year-old Axel Acosta, whose family is being represented by the Buzbee Law Firm.
The firm is holding a press conference Monday at 2:30 p.m. in Houston, to discuss the allegations in the lawsuit, and explain why each entity has been sued.
Rapper Travis Scott says he will no longer headline a Las Vegas music festival next weekend after eight people were killed in a trampling incident at his show in Houston on Friday.
ABC News and Variety both confirm that Scott will no longer headline the Day N Vegas music festival this Saturday. Variety spoke to sources who said that Scott is "too distraught to play."
Scott canceled his performance in Las Vegas a day after he was sued alongside entertainment company Live Nation and several other entities linked to the Astroworld music festival in Houston. Eight people were killed and 25 people were hospitalized amid Scott's performance at Astroworld.
The suit is seeking $1 million in damages for "gross negligence," alleging that organizers failed to institute proper safety measures during the set.
"I'm hearing the word trapped. I'm hearing the words 'not being able to breathe.' I'm hearing the word 'drowning,'" attorney Ryan Macleod said according to KHOU, describing the conditions during Scott's performance Friday.
During the set Friday, concertgoers constantly rushed toward the stage, pushing fans closer and closer together and closer and closer to barriers.
CNN reports that Scott's performance began around 9 p.m. local time, and police immediately began receiving calls about injuries in the crowd. Police declared a "mass casualty event" around 9:40 p.m., but Scott's performance continued until after 10 p.m.
As of Monday morning, seven of the eight people killed had been identified. The victims ranged in age from as young as 14 to as old as 27.
In addition to those killed, CNN reports that 25 other people were hospitalized.
In a press conference Saturday, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said that an investigation into the tragedy was ongoing.
"There are a lot of unanswered questions. Over the next several days, several weeks — could be even longer — we'll take an in-depth look at everything that took place," Turner said.
On Saturday evening, Scott took to his Instagram story to address the situation. Though the video expired after 24 hours, it has since been posted to other platforms, like YouTube, by fans and media outlets.
"I just want to send out prayers to the ones that was lost last night," Scott said. "We're actually working right now to identify the families so we can help assist them through this tough time. You know, my fans really mean the world to me, and I always just want to leave them with a positive experience, and any time I can make out anything that's going on, you know I stop the show, and you know, help them get the help they need. I could just never imagine the severity of the situation.
"We've been working closely with everyone to just try and get to the bottom of this — the city of Houston, HPD, fire department. You know, everyone that will help us figure this out. If you have any information, please just contact your local authorities.
"Everybody, continue to keep your prayers. I mean, I'm honeslty just devastated. I could never imagine anything like this happening. I'm going to do everything I can to keep you guys updated and keep you guys informed on what's going on."