NewsLocal News


45-year old woman identified after standoff with police on Dec. 23

Suspect taken to local hospital for treatment of injuries
Elizabeth Theiss.PNG
CCPD administrative leave.PNG
Flour Bluff shooting scene
Flour Bluff shooting scene
Posted at 5:43 AM, Dec 24, 2021

UPDATE 1-3-22:
45-year-old Elizabeth Theiss has been identified as the woman involved in a standoff with police on Dec. 23. Theiss was released from a local hospital on December 26, 2021 and taken into police custody. Police ended up shooting at Theiss after she allegedly confronted them with what police say appeared to be a rifle. This resulted in two CCPD officers being placed on paid administrative leave.

She is charged with Burglary of a Habitation with Intent to Commit other Felony on a $100,000 Bond and Assault Causes Bodily Injury to Public Servant on a $20,000 Bond.

UPDATE 12-30-21:
Two Corpus Christi police officers have been placed on administrative leave after shooting a woman during a standoff that took place on Thursday Dec. 23 in Flour Bluff.

Senior Officer Robert Walker has been a police officer with the Corpus Christi Police Department for 13 years, while Senior Officer Courtney Miller has been a police officer with the Corpus Christi Police Department for 6 years.

Putting officers on paid administrative leave is standard policy while the incident is further investigated.

A woman was shot by Corpus Christi police Thursday night after a standoff that lasted several hours in the 200 block of Juniper Drive in Flour Bluff.

Officers were dispatched to the home at approximately 8:42 p.m. Thursday after reports of a burglary in progress. Updates to that call provided that a homeowner notified officers that an intruder was inside the home.

When officers arrived several minutes later, they were provided with a description of the subject by the homeowner and were able to see the intruder inside the home by its surveillance system.

Shortly after they entered the home, officers were confronted by the suspect who produced what appeared to be rifle, forcing both officers to discharge their service weapons and striking the suspect.

The officers retreated out of the home and were unsuccessful in gaining compliance from the suspect in exiting the home.

Officers from the SWAT and hostage negotiating teams then were called out to assist. After they arrived and spent two hours negotiating with the suspect, the SWAT team eventually entered the home at about 11 p.m. where they found an adult female who had been injured.

The suspect was provided immediate medical attention and was then transported to a local hospital. Police said they located a weapon on the scene that had been produced by the suspect. Corpus Christi Police Chief Mike Markle said the woman was alert and talking to officers.

"Officers could not get this person to comply to drop the rifle, shots were fired, I don't know how many shots," Markle said. "Officers were able to get out of the building, until the SWAT team could come in and clear the building and take the suspect into custody."

The Corpus Christi police officers who were involved in the shooting will be placed on paid administrative leave, in accordance with the department's current practice and policy.There were no other injuries.

Police said an internet-based information site relayed inaccurate information to the public related to this incident.

The incident remains an active and ongoing investigation.

If you have any information pertaining to this incident, you are encouraged to call the Corpus Christi Police Department Criminal Investigations Division at 361-886-2840.

Anyone who would like to keep their identity secret and still provide information to Detectives should call Crime Stoppers at 888-TIPS (8477) or submit the tip online here.