The day got off to a somber start at Bishop Garriga Middle Preparatory School.
A fire broke out at around 7 p.m. Sunday in one of the school's portable buildings and destroyed several of the school's students' and teachers' belongings. Father Peter Martinez, the school's president,
said fire investigators told him electrical wiring, or a lightning strike, could have sparked the fire.
School administrators said they are still taking inventory to figure out how much damage was caused.
"There was two classrooms (damaged), and one homeroom was in one of those classrooms," Martinez said. "So, the kids' supplies, the teacher materials and the computers and the things that were in that classroom are either damaged by fire or now, by water."
Bishop Garriga Middle School serves 193 students.
As soon as administrators found out what happened yesterday, they sent emails to parents letting them know classes would be held this morning. Luckily, there haven't been any problems.
The students who normally attend classes in that portable building have been moved to another classroom. According to Martinez, the transition has been pretty smooth, and all classes have remained on schedule.
Martinez said he's thankful for everything that was done to put yesterday's fire out before it spread.
"I just wanted to share that the police and firemen were outstanding and worked very well, and very quickly, and I just appreciate all they did for us," Martinez said.