The Corpus Christi Fire Department battled a blaze early Monday morning at the Puerto Del Mar Apartment complex that was believed to have been started due to a pinched electrical cord that was connected to Christmas lights behind a couch.
The original call came to the fire department at about 3:30 a.m. Monday.
The man who lived in the apartment said he stepped out for about 30 minutes. When he arrived back, his apartment was on fire.
The fire took about 30 minutes to be extinguished and was contained to one apartment at the complex, 3802 Caravelle Parkway.
Most of the furniture in the apartment was burned. The Red Cross has been contacted to help him recover.
The man living in the apartment was not hurt, but his cat died in the blaze, fire officials said.