The Nueces Co. District Attorney's Office will not seek the death penalty in the case of a 73-year-old man accused of killing his grandson and daughter and critically injuring a second grandson in 2019.
Asst. District Attorney Angelica Hernandez said her office plans to file a written notice to waive the death penalty in the case against Mohammed Sahi, who was in the 105th District Court for a status hearing with his attorneys David Kline and Luis Garcia on Thursday.
Sahi's bond is set at $2 million for the first count, a charge of capital murder of multiple persons; and at $750,000 for the second count, aggravated assault family violence. He entered a plea of not guilty and requested a jury trial.
Sahi is accused of brutally killing his 47-year-old daughter, Nargis Zaman, and his 18-year-old grandson, Hamed Zaman, on Sept. 12 in a home in the Kings Crossing neighborhood. A second grandson, 21-year-old Hamzah Zaman, was hospitalized due to his injuries until last month.
In September, Sahi told the first officer to arrive at the home in the 6200 block of Denain Street that he had used a stick to kill his family.
Sahi entered the courtroom on Thursday in a wheelchair pushed by a bailiff. He stood during the proceedings.
When Judge Jack Pulcher asked Sahi questions verifying his identity, the 73-year-old Sahi replied through his translator that Pulcher could ask him anything he wanted.
"Nobody has asked me anything so far," Sahi said. He speaks Punjabi.
Pulcher also issued a gag order for the case's duration.
During a previous court appearance in September, Sahi said "I did it," in English. "Whatever they're charging me with is correct," but that statement has been deemed inadmissible.