CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A woman went to a local animal shelter on Valentine's Day and adopted a dog.
But, she claims, a short time after getting it home, the dog got sick.
Cassandra and her boyfriend went to the Corpus Christi Animal Care Services on Feb. 14 with every intention of adopting a puppy.
But Cassandra says that only after she finished signing the adoption papers, and paying the adoption fees, did Animal Care Services disclose that the puppy had previously had parasites.
She still chose to adopt the pup, but before she left, she says no one told her it still needed medication.
“She started bleeding a little afterwards just a couple hours later from her bottom,” said Cassandra.
Cassandra says she took her newly adopted puppy back to CCACS the next day but they told her there was nothing they could do.
“They said now it’s my legal responsibility even though they knowingly let her be adopted knowing that she had the intestinal parasites,” said Cassandra.
Cassandra had to take her puppy to the vet. There it was diagnosed with intestinal parasites and it was prescribed more medication. Something Cassandra says she would have done right away, if she had been informed about the dog’s condition properly.
“I just want the community to be better informed on what’s on the medical history whether it be a dog, cat or any type of animal,” said Cassandra.
Director of Animal Care Services Mike Gillis told us that all dogs in the shelter are treated for intestinal parasites.
That medical information is listed under ‘normal conditions’ and probably why Cassandra was not notified.
He also added that they recommend every dog that leaves the shelter see a vet immediately.