NewsNational News

Actions

Report shows Hawaii infant died from antihistamine overdose

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 4:28 PM, Jul 23, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-23 17:37:35-04

HONOLULU (AP) - A toxicology test indicates a Hawaii infant who died in the care of a babysitter had nearly double the concentration of an antihistamine in her blood as what is usually lethal for babies.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Tuesday that a Honolulu medical examiner determined 7-month-old Abigail Lobisch died in February from diphenhydramine toxicity.

Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in Benadryl.

Dixie Villa is charged with manslaughter in the child's death.

Court documents say the mother left the infant and her 2-year-old son in Villa's care overnight.

Police say Villa reported the child unresponsive the next morning. The mother told police that her baby was healthy before she dropped her off.

The medical examiner says in the autopsy report that young children should not be given diphenhydramine without consulting a doctor.

Information from: Honolulu Star-Advertiser, http://www.staradvertiser.com

(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)