This wasn’t the first time Naval Air Station-Corpus Christi has been shut down for a security breach.
For some, waiting to get back on base after news of a lockdown has become a familiar scene.
"It's happened enough that it's nothing new to me or anybody else here." said NAS-CC employee Desi Aleman. "We've waited before.”
There have been a total of three other incidents since the beginning of last year.
In February 2019 , a man was shot and killed by base security after a fiery crash at the base’s north gate on Ocean Drive.
He was identified as 37-year-old Daniel King.
King entered the base through the south gate and was chased all the way to the opposite entrance. He crashed at the north gate — the same gate location as Thursday morning’s incident.
He was shot after exiting the vehicle and charging at security.
On Oct. 7, 2019 , 47-year-old Brian Robinson tried to drive a stolen truck through that same security gate after leading police on a chase from Beeville.
Robinson was stopped at the entrance but ran onto base by foot. He was later found hiding by a dumpster with a gun. He told investigators he wanted to commit suicide by cop but decided to give up because he didn’t want anyone else to get hurt.
Another lockdown was triggered in December last year after an armed Corpus Christi Army Depot employee made verbal threats.
The man was taken into custody and questioned, but later released.
The base's commanding officer said shortly after that incident, the decision to shut down the base was in the interest of everyone’s safety.
In all of these incidents, no base personnel were injured.