NewsLocal News

Actions

Fiesta de la Flor won't return in 2020

Posted at 4:57 PM, Oct 03, 2019
and last updated 2019-10-03 19:19:41-04

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas —

The convention and visitors bureau has confirmed that Fiesta de la Flor will not be returning to Corpus Christi in 2020.

Alyssa Barrera-Mason, Interim CEO of Visit Corpus Christi, told KRIS Communications that they were just informed of the Quintanillas' decision today and weren't told a reason why.

"We truly appreciate The Selena Foundation and the Quintanilla family for allowing our community to celebrate Selena in such a special way for the past 5 years," Visit Corpus Christi said in a statement. "We will cherish the memories of this wonderful celebration and wish them luck in future endeavors."

The festival, which premiered here in 2015, honors Tejano superstar Selena Quintanilla-Perez who was killed by her fan club president in 1995, and has made news recently because of an unauthorized, unilateral deal former Visit Corpus Christi CEO Paulette Kluge made with the Quintanilla family.

The agreement gave The Selena Foundation all $35,000 of the profits from the 2018 Fiesta de la Flor, and promised the Quintanilla family a flat rate of $50,000 from 2019 on for the festival to continue in Corpus Christi. The arrangement which city officials had previously agreed to gave The Selena Foundation half of the event's profits.

The agreement ultimately cost Kluge her job.

After her resignation, Kluge acknowledged the prospect of the Quintanilla family relocating the celebration.

"That's always a possibility," Kluge said in August. "Cities are always looking to the Quintanillas wanting Fiesta de la Flor or a Selena event in their city. For years that's been going on."

McComb also told KRIS Communications in August that he didn't believe the controversy surrounding the Fiesta de la Flor payouts would lead to the festival's discontinuation, or move out of Corpus Christi.

"I see no reason why it wouldn't stay here unless the Quintanillas decide they'd rather pack up their bag and move somewhere else," McComb said. "I hope they don't."

The festival also had been in the news in the last few months because it gained a new presenting sponsor in Herrman & Hermann law firm. CITGO had been its previous major sponsor.

“Being founding sponsors, Herrman and Herrman is interested in talking with the Quintanillas about continuing to support the celebration of Selena," the firm said in a statement. "We have enjoyed working with the family and would love to continue being apart of the Selena celebration.”

This is a developing story. Stay with KRIS 6 News for updates.