CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — There is encouraging news for a family whose home on Collingswood was heavily damaged by a fire on Tuesday.
An 87-year-old woman lived here with her two daughters who have Down Syndrome.
The daughters are OK, but but now they are struggling to get back on their feet.
On Tuesday afternoon, neighbors noticed smoke coming from the garage of the house.
They immediately jumped into action.
Neighbors were able to get 87-year-old Bobbie Lord and her daughters out thru the front door safely.
A family member tells us the response was so quick, no one was injured or had to be taken to the hospital.
There was a generator in use on in the garage because the house had lost power Sunday. It was 41 degrees inside.
It was a case of neighbors helping neighbors.
Debbie Zafereo is Bobbie Lord's niece. We thank her for joining us to talk about what the insurance company has been telling the family about their plans for the house.
The insurance company is putting Lord up in local motel.
Lord is a United States Air Force veteran.
She's lived in this house 53 years.
It's unlivable, but she and her daughters are safe and warm today.
Just off Gollihar.