Take practical steps to keep you and your loved ones safe during a power outage.
- Report the outage to your energy provider.
- Stay away from all downed lines or sparking equipment, and keep children and pets away from fallen lines and anything the lines may touch.
- Never remove debris that’s within 10 feet of a power line.
- Unplug major appliances to protect them when power comes back on.
- Leave a light turned on so you know when power is restored.
- Refuel heaters, lamps, and generators outside, and stay away from any flames or sparks. Wipe up fuel spills immediately.
- Notify electrical crews working in your area if you’re using a generator – this protects you and our line workers as they work to restore power.
- Never operate lanterns, heaters, or fuel-fired stoves without proper ventilation.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. It releases poisonous carbon monoxide.
- Do not let children carry candles or oil lamps.
Be Aware of Safety Hazard Conditions
A safety hazard is a condition that poses an immediate risk to the public, and can
- Downed wires that may be sparking or near water
- Downed poles
- Trees that have fallen on power lines
- Never go near or touch a downed power line. Report it immediately to local authorities.
Report downed lines to 911 or AEP at 866-223-8508.
*About Sponsored Content
KZTV Action 10 News offers useful, valuable information from select sponsors on these pages. This content is not produced or endorsed by KZTV Action 10 News. To learn more about being a Sponsored Content provider on this site, contact our digital sales specialists.