Posted: Aug 8, 2012 6:50 PM by Mitch Bryan
Updated: Aug 8, 2012 7:00 PM
ARANSAS PASS - 20 tenants at the old Jackson Hotel in Aransas Pass are lucky to be alive after a massive blaze tore through the building Tuesday night.
Cherry Harrison says she is lucky to be alive. She tells me the Jackson Hotel has been in her family for generation and that she, her mother and most of her family grew up, roaming these halls, now charred beams and ash.
"So I got my shoes on and was going to go look and this woman, she said, get out of here," Cherry said.
Fire officials told Cherry the fire was most likely caused by a faulty electrical spark.
Cherry says the Jackson Hotel has been here since the 1920s and has recently gained a bit of a bad reputation.
"We've had the police here quite frequently. It's always been a kind of notorious place, I guess," said Harrison.
But despite, however the neighborhood feels about the hotel, Cherry says it's home and she is going to try her best to get a new roof over her mother's head.
Warren Heaven and John Dechamp were living in the room where fire officials say the blaze began.
"I mean, on an everyday instance, something would pop off, something would zap, something would spark. And so we lived like this for about 3 months. Every time we would use our microwave or something the electricity would go off," they said.
Cherry says she intends on trying to rebuild the hotel sometime in the future.
Do you have a tip or information about a breaking news story? Contact the KZTV 10 News Desk at 361-883-7070 x151 or send us an email.
Look at photos and videos and share them!
|KZTV10.COM Mobile Website
Get KZTV10.com on your mobile or PDA!
|KZTV10.COM Mobile Apps
Get our mobile apps on your mobile or PDA!
See the latest winning numbers!
|10 News Team
Read about your favorite KZTV personalities!
|FCC Online Public File
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and more